[pianotech] phenomania - experiment

Bill Fritz pianofritz50 at aol.com
Wed May 16 09:28:21 MDT 2012

Ron Koval, I would suggest the following sequence & Custom Style (Verituner) for use in the "Changes in Inharmonicy" experiment:

Start & always use this Custom Style:

A0     6:3   0.1  100%
A1     6:3   0.0  100%
A2     4:2   0.0   70%    6:3  0.0  30%
A3-4  4:2   0.0  100%
A5     4:2   0.0   60%    2:1  0.0  40%
C7     2:1   0.0  100%
C8     2:1   0.0  100%

Use the Custom Style & new tuning mode, and tune that piano "to it's best".  Then use that initial tuning to record in the "Measured Tuning" mode this 1st tuning.

Then periodically using that same Custom Style, tune the piano a various times/periods with a NEW tuning each time (not a saved one)... and after tuning, compare to the Original Measured Tuning... also pulling off the inharmonicity data.  Of course, Temp & Humidity as well.  (So obviously today, we're either talking about a VT-100 or VTPPC device for data access.)

What's changed if anything??   Then we can all take the data & crunch & argue & see any trend.

PS  The Custom Style is based on what I've heard about the RPT Tuning exam's Master Tuning... ie. 4:2 mid...   2:1 from C7 up... and on the way down transition to 6:3 (but no lower).  I think any style could work... but the closer the style to what's attempted at the Master Tuning, the better.

Bill Fritz, St Louis