[pianotech] Choosing a piano for a recital space

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed May 16 08:51:12 MDT 2012

Barbara asked:
"Hi List,
 A local symphony is getting a new space that will be used as a recital
space.
 I haven't been to the room, but I am told that it is 2500-3000 square feet
with 14 foot ceilings.
 Right now the space is too lively acoustically; work is going to be done
to get the reverb down to 1.5 seconds.
 Anticipated audience size is 150. I was asked how big a piano should be
purchased for the space.
 Seems to me a 7 foot would be fine.
 Any opinions out there?
 Any suggestions of makes & models they should look into?
 Thanks! "

Barbara,
My choice might be a 7'er. However, with the acoustics, as described, I
would get a 7 footer that is not "Glassy", (you pick the make.<G>).
Acoustics are a funny critter and can be daunting. DAMHIK I'd suggest they
get that reverb a whole helluva lot lower than 1.5! If a good AIII were
available, that would, easily cover the area. That would be my first
choice, as it can "Carry" far better than most that is available new. Also,
a M&H would be good. My approach would be to have a more varied approach to
the space use...such as string quartets thangs, etc. Utiliizing the space
often, makes for a better maintained piano, imo. There is a similar square
foot facility that I do occasionally. However it has lower ceiling and
carpeting. Capacity about the same. AIII in place, carries very well and
with a full seating still knocks your doors off when the "artist" decides
to create a mini A-Bomb test.<G>
That's my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.