[pianotech] phenomana - experiment

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 11:30:21 MDT 2012

Ron N wrote:On 5/15/2012 9:53 AM, Ron Koval wrote:

> Let me create a custom tuning style that should replicate a master
> tuning -

Why? I still need a strictly aural "as refined as possible" tuning that
the master tuning would supply.
*******************That's why David needs to be in the mix - if he can verify that the Verituner "gets there" to his satisfaction, then the data stream produced would be assumed to be valid.
*******************> If we can make this work, it bypasses needing to actually tune the
> piano, just step through the notes A0-C7 to gather the inharmonicity
> data and let the Verituner calculate... Shouldn't take more than 10
> minutes or so!

No, if you're going to try to fake the data, count me out. The whole
point is a sampling of real world results. This is exactly why I do my
own research when I can, and why I haven't brought this up until now, as
I've wondered about this for some years. If we can't do it right, let's
just not do it at all.
Ron N****************Not trying to fake data.  If the Verituner calculates a tuning that whenplaced on a piano equals a master tuning (not sure anyone's tried yet -there was one report of a tech using a custom style he developed in the RPT test and the examiner mentioned that it was the closest ever seen to the master tuning -within the tuning resolution.)  then it should be possible to skip the tuning step, whichintroduces both stability and measurement errors into the process...Ron Kovalchicagoland