[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 15 08:12:01 MDT 2012

On 5/15/2012 8:36 AM, David Renaud wrote:
> Hello
>
> Interesting hypothesis.
>
> One set of raw data that relates and would be easy to collect would
> be inharmonisity Readings for a set of given notes on the a given
> piano throughout the year.

I don't know. You don't get just inharmonicity readings recording master
aural tunings, do you? I was under the impression the frequency or
offset from a "standard" of each note was recorded. I think that's what
I'd like here.

> I would suggest C1,C2,C3,C4,C5, and also the bottom couple tenor
> plain strings, whatever they might be.

Again, a complete tuning would be preferable. An overabundance of data
can be reduced to minimal requirement, but unacquired data can't be
invented after the fact. Tuning reactions at breaks, for instance.

> Never tried to test or monitor this, actual numbers on a variety of
> pianos, old and new would be interesting to look at.

That's the idea.

> I have a Steinway A2 , and a Yamaha U1 at home I can measure any time
> I want though out the year. If a few others would do the same we
> could have seasonal sets of numbers on a few dozen pianos, enough to
> establish a working hypothesis to continue to test.

Again, that's the idea.

> I do think master tunings will evolve as strings age also.

So will any other tuning, for the same reasons. We're not talking about
a ten year project just yet. Six months will yield a high/low RH% sample
that may tell us enough to either answer the questions or further refine
the research direction and criteria. Gotta start somewhere.

> Volunteers to monitor some pianos and share the numbers? I'll monitor
> 2 pianos.

Tuned how, and why? For the results to be meaningful, we need a standard
method for all the ETD tuned pianos. We also still need the aurally
master tuned test piano(s).
Ron N