[pianotech] phenomana - Another ETD Check

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 22:38:37 MDT 2012

Ron said:
"Hmmm... On second thought this could also be interesting to see how the
individual note numbers of even one piano differed from one ETD tuning
to the next at a 30% or more RH% difference. Any chance?"

Ron,
I have a sneaking hunch what you are alluding to.<G> I have observed, on
some of my 3-4 times a year, pickyuny clients, good pianos, a strange
thang. Since I passed my RPT, aurally and now use a SATII, this phenomonon
has cropped up many times. Although, I do not use recorded tunings w/the
SAT, I do pay attention to the "stretch factor" on each tuning. On the same
piano, but different times of the year, w/different humidities, I've
noticed that the "Stretch Factor" numbers are different. Example: On one
tuning the SF will be 1.2cents on A4, with the machine set at A5. The next
time, the darned thing will yield a SF of 2.4 cents. Same piano, just
different humidity. I keep record of the temperature/humidity every time I
tune, so I have references to check. It is my thought/guess/idea/whatever,
that the moisture content in the sounding body will create different
inharmonicities in relation to the moisture content of the wood, (in
relation to the given differences in humidity.) I have no way to verify
this, but it's been the reason that caused me to question the validity of
"stored tunings" and to come up with a method that works for me,
tuning-wise. (refer to my PTJ article, January 2000. (I'm constantly
upgrading and refining that method, but, it works for me...most of the
time.<G>)
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.