[pianotech] Another ETD check

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 14 06:29:54 MDT 2012

On 5/14/2012 12:04 AM, Jim Moy wrote:
> In the spirit of Ron Koval's multi-octave "unison" challenge, here's an
> experiment I've done a half-dozen times or so over the past couple
> years, on "nice" pianos, Yamaha U1 or better that have stabilized so
> pitch adjustment is less than 10 cents:
>
> - Quick tuning to bring it back to the saved tuning from last time.
> - Copy the .tun file.
> - Re-tune by ear to what I think is "best," and capture the override.
> - Go home and study the offsets.
>
> For me, it's +/- 3 or 4 cents, and it's a jagged, random set of offsets.
> Usually only a few in the temperament, but a lot offsets elsewhere. No,
> most of my customers can't tell. I think some may be able to.
>
> But I know.
>
> I'm a relatively new RPT, passed the tuning exam with good scores, not
> CTE level, but pretty good, with some 100's, and the rest 90's, and high
> 80's. But I have a conundrum now, are what I perceive my best tunings to
> be, "better" than the ETD ones? And who cares? It's an interesting puzzle.
>
> I've recently purchased Verituner for my iPod/iPhone recently and plan
> to repeat the experiments. (Can I compare its calculated and measured
> tunings? Tunelab highlights the diffs in red.)
>
> Jim

It is an interesting puzzle, and I think should be approached as a
puzzle rather than a pair of adrenal glands. In the interest of sticking
with my observation that ETDs let us worry over numbers beyond the
resolution of most of the pianos we tune, it has also occurred to me
that one piano may be a different piano under different circumstances.
Saving the best tuning for replication with an ETD is a good test case.
While I think it's an unprecedentedly valuable feature, I also think it
needs more scrutiny. Now, I know this isn't a new thought, and I'm sure
someone has already done this, but I don't recall it having been
mentioned on list so here goes.

A master tuning test, whether it's gotten close by a first pass with an
ETD or not, is in the end a super refined aural tuning. I'm using this
as a conceded starting point, because I think it's a quite reasonable,
and the most practical and nearly possible approach. So I'm not
questioning the master tuning on a given piano at a given time. This is,
therefor, *NOT* a criticism of the testing procedure! This tuning is
then recorded by an ETD for comparison against those of testing
applicants. Now, were the master tuning on a given piano tuned in 35% RH
to be compared with a master tuning four months later in 65% (what would
here be considered a controlled environment), How would the "point
spread" fall? This goes with the eternal question of what makes a piano
go out of tune, and an observation by Michael Jorgensen during one of
the list discussions about a fundamental and long observed point of
physics concerning vibrating strings. A string at a given length and
diameter and at a given tension will vibrate at a lower frequency when
terminated by a less rigid terminus and at a higher frequency when
terminated by a more terminus. While we know by bearing offset
measurements and doing the math that soundboards don't rise and fall
nearly enough to account for the difference we hear in pitch, we can't
directly measure the differences in soundboard assembly stiffness. All
we have is the cumulative effect of everything together as measured in
pitch change. It seems to me that comparing two or more master tunings
at minimum time between, and maximum RH% differences would indicate what
affect RH% has on the measured effect of tuning differences - if there
are any. Since a difference would indicate that the recorded "best shot"
isn't necessarily the best shot for those conditions (though pretty
darned close, I'd think) this experiment (or posting the result of
records comparisons already made) might cast a lot more light on tuning
in general than what we typically wade through in these discussions. I
left temperature out here because I presume the piano being master tuned
for testing will have been in a stable enough temperature for long
enough to make such a tuning possible.

There are obvious anomalies being skirted in these tuning discussions.
Likely not intentionally, but the more detailed objective information we
can compile for comparison, the better our chances of actually learning
something useful.

Now let's hear from the CTEs and master tuning teams who have the data.
Has anyone done this?

Ron N