[pianotech] Exams discussion - Odd?

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sun May 13 13:22:04 MDT 2012

On 05/13/2012 01:54 PM, David Renaud wrote:
> Hello Ron
>
> Yes, Fair enough.
>
>     Master tuning tunes the piano to the standards set out ; 2:1 in the top octave for example. My point was that
> smoothing out progressions of 10ths,etc smooths out the aural progressions beyond what is achieved with tune lab or
> cyber tuner, the inharmonisity/quirks get reflected in the numbers as the aural progressions are refined. It creates a
> great point of reference for the function of earmarking errors.
>
>    The standards and procedures for the master tuning do prove to be a fantastic aural exercise in Aural progressions,
> and has proven to be a good tool to uphold the current standards
> Of the tuning test.  And yet there is more. Yes, I like to morph between 4:2 and 6:3 and push towards wider octaves in
> the very low bass, etc. The "wow" factor requires more. That journey
> Began for me in the exam room, getting in touch with what is going on, how to measure it, and what choices we have to
> make...
>
>       Thanks for the input. I'll be careful how I express that, "best it can be"
> Perhaps better;   best it can be within the given defined perimeters to function as a master tuning.
>         ".There is wisdom in a multitude of councilors"
>
>                                            Dave Renaud

OK, enough with the "wow" factor. Where would you use such tunings ?

Symphonies, maybe, BUT, the piano is only one instrument in the rest of them.

For the average Joe like me, that tunes for home owners - who usually new to old beaters, and churches, who almost
never, have solos anymore - they are in some sort of a praise band.

So, the "wow" factor must be for those "elite" customers - who really give a damn about how a piano sounds - Right ?

Which I would probably refuse to tune for them............

Just sayin'

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years