[pianotech] Old can of worms (was Re: tunelab vs verituner)

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Sat May 12 19:26:02 MDT 2012

Duaine,

I guess I'm not understanding your reasoning that tuning with ETD is easier
on the ears.  I use an ETD for pitch raising and setting the temperament,
but my ears perked up when you claimed that it in some way saves your
hearing and your sanity.  Thought I'd comment.

As someone else mentioned, the listening process is the same...or should
be....for either aural tuning or tuning using an ETD...that is IF you are
actually using a test blow to render the strings.  The only way I can see
that it could be physically easier on your ears using an ETD would be if you
are using a softer tuning blow and NOT using a test blow to render the
strings.  Rendering the string is a MUST either way you tune, therefore any
effects on hearing due to tuning should affect the hearing the same, either
way you decide to tune.

Now, I do agree that you can turn your brain off, if you wish, using an ETD,
and "save your sanity" as you suggested...if you want, but I surely wouldn't
recommend it.  I don't do it, and your tunings will surely show it if you
do.  I do use an Accu-tuner III, take FAC caculations on every tuning, and
use that to set the bearing.  I always make checks and listen to beats as I
tune to be certain that what I hear trumps what I see....ALWAYS. The ETD
always goes off for tuning unisons.

I am not saying which method is better.  There will always be arguments for
either method, and in my opinion, neither is right or wrong...just
different.  If your tuning is musically acceptable when you're finished, you
and your client are satisfied, then you've succeeded. The fact is, no matter
who you are (if you've been in the guild 40 years and tune aurally, or not
in the guild and tune with an ETD) you can do really aweful tunings using
either method, and you can do quite superb tunings using either method.  It
all depends on if you really know how to tune or not! It depends on if you
know how to check if something is right/wrong (or at least as acceptable as
can be for that particular piano).

ETD's can be quite helpful and reduce stress, as you say (I totally agree
with you here, they're especially helpful for me during pitch raises to help
me not make overpulling mistakes that can lead to broken strings, etc). The
key is knowing how to use the ETD to indicate what you want it to, use it as
a guide, and let your ears and brain do the rest (decide whether what it is
telling you is the truth or not!)  If a piano strings are tight...I decide
whether to overpull it the 25% or not, or whether to tune it just to just a
few cents above A=440 and just go over it again.  There are many great uses
for ETD's so long as we don't just turn them on and stop the lights.

My father is a retired minister and he always reminded the congregation to
not just trust what he says from the pulpit, but to look it up for
themselves.  Not that he wasn't trustworthy, but that he is human and makes
mistakes.  So, that in essence, is what we should be doing when using an ETD
of any kind.  Don't necessarily sit back, shut the brain off and tune
totally by autopilot.  I'm not a pilot, but I'd suppose it's much easier to
fly planes that have all the instruments and fancy bells and whistles...I'm
sure it can be less stressful to have instruments to rely on, and can be
much safer too, but there's times where instruments give false info. and
it's up to the pilot to make the judgement call on whether to trust what he
sees, or take the controls.  In fact, I would want my pilot checking at all
times to be sure the instruments were telling the truth.

I'm in NO WAY insinuating that you are not a good tuner, I am just
commenting based on your statements and the questions it raised in my mind.

Anyway, thought I'd add my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com
Rbushey at RichardsPianoService.com