[pianotech] CTEs - Thoughts....etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 17:25:50 MDT 2012

David Love said:
"Except that the exam is not scored on "pleasing". It is scored on
objective criteria the foundations of which are laid down electronically.
If pleasing were the criteria for passing the exam then we would expect to
see no deductions for musical sounding well temperaments or octave
stretching which exceeds the exam protocols which many will say are much
more conservative than they use in real life"

David,
Hmmm? Your comments lead me to believe that you have never been part of
doing a Master Tuning. The process is all done aurally! There is no
"...foundations of which are laid down electroncally."! At least THREE
Techs, one of which has to be a CTE, must agree on every note...AURALLY.
Because the Equal Temperament is the most accepted that is what is used. It
is Universal, even tho there are many who hate it.<G> I think you need to
be involved in, at least, one Master Tuning and then you would know.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police