[pianotech] CTE's - what are you thoughts? (continuation of Re: Old can of worms)

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sat May 12 09:19:28 MDT 2012

CTE's administer the exams as prescribed by the collective wisdom of PTG's Council, and as individuals, CTE's are under no obligation to defend the exam, nor, as individuals, are any of them qualified to definitively explain the collective wisdom of Council.

The "collective wisdom" is simply the result of the political process. Some respect that collective wisdom more than others; I tend to give great respect to the results of the political process; it lets us make decisions on matters about which we disagree.

As to the question at hand, I have been a CTE, and make the following personal observations; they are neither intended to defend nor challenge the current exam.

I would point out that the statement that "aural tuning tends to deliver less consistent results in the temperament and octave sections than electronic tuning" is false in my experience, especially among the finest tuners. (What one can indeed say is that beginning and intermediate tuners do better with ETD's.) Tuners who are familiar with both aural and electronic tuning can deliver superior results, at least, that is my experience; hybrid aural/electronic tunings can be better than aural tunings, better than electronic tunings.

Pianos are tuned for the benefit of music, an aural art. Regardless of the methods used to accomplish a finely tuned piano, the results are, in the end, expected to be _aurally_ pleasing. Perhaps the current exam reflects that simple fact.

Kent