[pianotech] Old can of worms (was Re: tunelab vs verituner)

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri May 11 13:52:06 MDT 2012

Allow me to clarify, because I think you misunderstood my remarks, at least
in part.  Probably my fault for not being exact enough with the language.

I agree about the 60 cent flat piano not being in tune a week later and said
as much.  Whether you tune electronically or aurally, that will be true
either way, and a second visit is necessary if you are going to have a
stable piano as a result.  And the electronic tuning can steer you more
quickly through this kind of major pitch adjustment process.  When I am
doing a major pitch raising, I still do it most of the time aurally.  I like
to leave the piano in reasonably good tune so that when I come back I am
fine tuning rather than doing pitch adjusting again.  So sometimes that
means more pitch raises.  That is my general practice, and I do not claim it
is better or worse, only that it works well for me.  Is there room for me to
improve as a tuner?  Without a doubt.

I live in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.  Northern New England is not
the friendliest environment for pianos.  I have some pianos that I can tune
in January at 40 cents flat and July at 30 cents sharp.  That's extreme, but
they are out there.  They sit on the edge of frozen lake in the winter with
the wood stove going in the same room, and at the edge of the summer sauna
during the dog days.  So it is likely that my environment is more extreme
than yours

I have tuned a few pianos that were 10 cents flat generally that did require
a third pass.  That's rare, but it does happen.  There are some pianos out
there that are inherently unstable.  Manufacturing flaws, who knows what it
is.  They tune outside of the "normal" ranges of fluctuation I have come to
expect after 38 years of tuning.  Most 10 centers are, as you say, a simple
chore. Most of my regularly tuned  pianos are 10 to 25 cents flat in January
unless they have supplemental humidity control.  Pitch raising is an
everyday thing for me, mostly.

I do not claim to produce a superior tuning aurally.