[pianotech] Kohler & Campbell Hammer Springs

John Ross jrpiano at bellaliant.net
Fri May 11 09:43:26 MDT 2012

I wouldn't just replace a few. Because they are all contaminated and will soon go as well.
The spring rail felt of that era wasn't "rinsed'" properly and were contaminated so that it corroded the spring.
When replacing the springs, remove that strip of felt that touches the coil. It might have been a Pratt-Read problem.
Remove the old springs,
I have had good success with mini wire cutters, just grabbing the end and pulling it out. Don't use too much pressure, or you will cut off the wire.
Drill an extra hole next to where you removed the old spring. So use a piece of coat hanger or welding rod, thread the coils on this and it keeps them in line. Then thread the end of the wire through the hole and feed it into the second hole and draw it tight. Glue on the felt over this and it will be secure.
Be sure and average out the tensions and make sure the customer likes the feel. The first time I did the job it was for a seniors residence and they thought the spring pressure was too much.
Someone recently did the whole job using the ones that screw on, he liked the end result.
I like doing it the other way. Screws have a habit of loosening.
With no problems, I can't see it taking 5 hours. Actual labour probably closer to 2 hours, then you have parts and travelling time.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia