[pianotech] Thumpe returns... and the shellac on old plates.....

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu May 10 19:52:15 MDT 2012

When it comes to water based finish technology, it has changed at warp
speed in the last 5 years. Before that there were a lot of disasters.
Best case in point is the highly touted water based polyurethane for
wood floors by Varathane. It was terrible and peeled in a year.

However, due to federal regulations, most all cars are now painted
with water based paints. Marine paints are following  suit. I am as
much of a skeptic as anybody about water based paints but I think it
is time to reconsider. For example, Rustoleum (owned by Petit marine
paints) now has a fantastic water based multipurpose grey sandable
primer in gallons that I can't say enough good things about- and I
have been using automotive paints (llaquers. acrylic laquers and
enamels, and various two part polymers for years). I never thought I
would ever consider using a water based paint on metal but times have
changed. Try the new ones before you knock it.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc