[pianotech] Old can of worms (was Re: tunelab vs verituner)

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Thu May 10 13:02:49 MDT 2012

Not to deliberately belabor this point, but answer me this;

99.9% of my tunings involve MAJOR pitch raises. With aural tuning ONLY, how in the "sam hill" can you do a MAJOR pitch
raise in less than 2 hours.

Now let's see - that involves setting the temperament, PRESUMABLY, at the same time, calculating stretch, tuning each
note, tuning the unisons, etc Oh, yeah, do your "precious" aural tuning checks, but, wait, the piano is constantly
moving because it was so out-of-tune, but some how you are still supposed to do them, how I will never know. Starting
from the middle, tune up and tune down AND with the piano still moving along the way. So now you some sort of BASE
tuning, so now you have to go back and "tweak" BUT, again, the piano is still moving, so you have to, maybe, tweak again
and again and again, etc. Have I forgotten anything ?

Now, with an ETD (like, Cybertuner (because that is what I have)), you capture the "starting" point of the piano with
all the A's; IT calculates the proper pitch of the note where it is supposed to be - factoring in, automajically, the
stretch and you tune from note 1 to note 88. Now, do some MINOR checking, which you MIGHT need to make some MINOR
tweaking. And, now you are DONE.

Stepping back out of your CURRENT life and as a NEW tech coming into the business, you would pick the ETD route. So did
I, like millions of other techs.

So there - "put that in you pipe and smoke it"

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years