[pianotech] Old can of worms (was Re: tunelab vs verituner)

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:46:13 MDT 2012

> Duaine, I think only the first section of the test, setting the temperament, is required to be done aurally.  After that, you can use an etd.
> Gary

You can use a computer program for much of the tuning test. So in the analogy,
The engineer would have technology at his disposal, but at some point in the test might be asked
To do some mental calculations also. Fair. As an expert in his field, and a teacher, perhaps for a moment asked to demonstrate he does know how a slide rule actually works.

       Examiners use computer programs to score , but in training must demonstrate they can score manually as well. What if the computer crashes after all.

      I would be shy to ask a pure machine tuner without a certain level of aural skills to sub for me
At a concert hall. With a late sound check, and 30 min left to tune, what happens if the devise crashes.....cancel the concert, sorry, no tuning. Makes me nervous.

       Aural part is 24 single strings only. With a window 2 cents wide with no points lost whatsoever. The a440 is a window 6 cents wide. A pretty rough tuning can  pass at 80%
Unisons are done aurally, but have a very large window, a unison with a .9 spread wines
Annoyingly, concert tuning requires much tighter unisons then the tuning test minimum.

      Confession: I use a machine now, wonderful tools.
                          The aural part of the tuning test is worthy of respect.
                           The examiners I have worked with have had an attitude of mentoring, teaching, sharing, wanting people to pass, and give thousands of dollars of their time for FREE.  I am so
Impressed with the attitude among the examiners. A very generous bunch, what they offer is a gift. Very selfless and sacrificial of their time and energy.

                                                                Sincerely
                                                                   Dave Renaud