[pianotech] Weird Stuff in my week

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 23:00:30 MDT 2012

Thought I'd enlighten.<G> Ran into a P.C. Weaver, upright. Pretty normal
throughout ...except the bass tuning pin pattern/configuration.
It had a 3 tuning pins pattern, instead of the normal 2 or 4. Really
harkened me back to my beginners mode, since I had to trace all of the
strings to make sure I was on the right pin!<G> After a fashion, I figured
out the "system", but even then it was a mind bender. The "system" was,
(going down in the bass w/mute strip in), bottom pin for first note; bottom
pin for second note; middle pin for third note; middle pin for fourth note;
top pin for fifth note; top pin for sixth note....then, do it all over
again.<G>
Today, a Pleyel Wolff, Upright, Flat Strung, Overdamper. Main problem:
expanding leads and moth eaten keyframe felt. Yanked all of the olde felt
out and did the pin clean/polish. Then replaced with "replica felt". The
interesting thing was: both the Sharps and Naturals, balance rail pins had
a route in the front half, so that the felt punching acted like the
"clipped" punchings that we have discussed at length. BTW, this piano was
made around 1887. The fact that it was flat strung, with a French style
Overdamper Action, that had a real Unichorda and the balance pin thang, was
interesting to be sure.
So went my week....weird, weirder, and Whoa!<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I