[pianotech] Ivory Laws

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Fri May 4 10:17:47 MDT 2012

Paul -

Of course I realize that you are not advocating the slaughter of
elephants to provide new material for covering piano keys (or any other
reason). But we as piano techs often (virtually always, in my
experience) praise this material for various reasons, and that is the
problem. As long as ivory is prized for whatever reason there will be a
market for it and these animals will be pushed ever closer to
extinction. You say near the end of your post that we should not do
anything that encourages the killing of elephants. I believe that
whenever we talk about "a beautiful set of ivories" we are doing just
that, even though that is certainly not our intention. Like it or not,
we are part of the problem.

I used to think that confiscated poached ivory could be sold and the
proceeds used to fund anti-poaching efforts. That was tried, and it only
served to further increase the value of tusks in a part of the world
where money is scarce and life is cheap. More and more I think that it
all belongs in museums only, and that we as a society can either choose
to be inconvenienced by regulation or watch passively as these (and
other) animals disappear forever. Before you (not you specifically,
Paul, but anyone reading this) take issue with my use of the word
"inconvenienced" in speaking of regulations that can often seem
heavy-handed, I would refer you back to my original post - "Tell that to
the elephants".

Respectfully,

- Mark