[pianotech] football players as piano movers

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue May 1 20:33:25 MDT 2012

Under supervision, they can be very helpful. I once rebuilt a grand for a church in a small Central Illinois community. The choir director was also the choral director at high school, and had been there for about 25 years. When it came time to take the piano to the second floor of the church, she just called the football coach to order the boys to help. About 15 showed up. I told them what and how the piano needed to be moved. Even 15 high school boys have a lot of muscle. The piano "floated' up the stairs. I then had some of them help me set it up. I told one of the bigger boys to pick up and hold the bass end while I put the leg on. While I would use my legs to lift, and then hold the piano with arms straight, he reached down and "curled" the end, and held it in place with his arms out stretched.

Wim