[pianotech] Stealth temperaments

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Tue May 1 09:09:10 MDT 2012

Couple thoughts on the excellent email below.

The facts regarding science, proofs, experimentation, protocols testing hypothesis
As discussed below are true , NEVERLESS,  I somewhat disagree with it Insomuch
As adding a whole dimension that is missing.

    Music is art. We work for artists. We are technicians, and tend to analyze everything technically. Our discipline Crosses over between art and science, in a space preloaded with a long history of tradition And discovery based on human intuition, human creativity and antidotal evidence. The whole evolution of music itself is an has been largely powered by human creativity and inspiration and "experimentation" that has mixed standing on the shoulders of those that came before and mixing in something that comes from "inside", from " the space" from "the gut"

   Yes, analysis and critical thinking is often part of the process, but I think the majority of musical
Evolution is far beyond that. A little story to illustrate. Charlie Parker along with "Dizzy" basicly invented the bebop style. Charlie did not have much to say about it, and their are no books and articles put out by the inventors. The only thing he ever had to say in an interview when asked about his thinking as he developed the gendre was this. " one night I was playing around with the upper tensions of the cords, and suddenly I found that I could finally play what I was hearing in my head."  Thanks for the lesson Charlie.  Bill Evans I think was just playing with passing tones, and leading chromaticism between cords and instinctively as well as intellectually  experimented untill it worked and became a whole school of playing unto itself.....

    Things are not so black and white all over. Even the stament below is just not true.
---------------------------------
     It seems to me that much of what we hear when we hear music, is what we EXPECT to hear – that is, we have absorbed a 12-tone equal-temperament scale from the time we were little babies, so that is what we hear
--------------------------------

         Every orchestral piece, every sound trax to every movie that has real orchestra Is not in
Equal temperment. String players can put it where they want. The pitch breaths a bit as well.
I have sat in a professional national orchestra with the conductor yelling out to the strings
"lower those thirds, lower them more, I'm old fashioned" " raise that leading tone more, more tension" etc. etc.  They can and do have their way with the color of the cord dependent on its function and color of the moment. An orchestra can have many placements of a C natural
Varying from cord to cord, moment to moment defendant on harmonic function and color.
It is a "variable breathing temperment" and often quite far from equal,

         We are exposed to this all the time. Orchestral scores like " lord of the rings" and
Thousands of others we have been exposed to. We hear unequal breathing temperaments
All the time.

         So I am happy to try to respect both the science and art together, and when they appear to be in Conflict , respect the fact the great artists we serve have evolved this great medium we swim in, music, largely through discovery of what is there by instinctive creative human trial and error, being satisfied with antidotal results enough to persist through it untill they get something
That works for them. There remains something intangible about music. Unlike science, more like love, commitment, trust, faith, human qualities that defy quantification, music touches into the human soul and invites this sort of loose "experimenting" in the unknown.

        We are technicians, and all analysis is good, all is profitable, but there is more to the medium, there remains a subjective human eliment that is real, illusive, and intangible.
Such is the ocean we swim in, they are deep waters.

                                             Cheers
                                              Dave Renaud

Sent from my iPad