[pianotech] Bad bridge

Paul Mulik paulmulik at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 07:28:43 MDT 2012

One of my clients has a very old Packard grand with a damaged bass bridge. At some point, who knows how many decades ago, some unknown technician "repaired" the upper section of the bass bridge with little brass gizmos that look sort of like agraffes but with slots in the sides. They stick up out of the top of the bridge, and hold the strings up about 5 mm higher than they're supposed to be. Of course this messes up the downbearing and is not meant to be a permanent fix, but the particular piano I'm talking about is on its last legs anyway.

Paul Mulik