[pianotech] Business insurance/attitudes...

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 30 08:41:16 MDT 2012

What David (L) said.

I carry it, haven't had to use it, don't like paying for it, wouldn't be
caught working without it.
Even as a tuner - maybe you pull an action and (yes unlikely) you drop it
and do hundreds or thousands in damage.  I'd rather be covered than have to
eat it.  I'm sure it wouldn't take much imagination to come up with a few
other scenarios in which on-site tuning/servicing would benefit from
insurance.

However, if I did not do rebuilding in my shop, and other work which
requires me to have client pianos at my location, I probably would eschew
insurance, as well.

But..........by not having insurance for say 10 years, the money I'm not
spending on premium would only cover my costs for an action rebuild.
 That's not much, in my estimation.  Maybe the premium is worth it.
 Especially considering the number of times I've seen posts on pianotech
about folks having their tools stolen.  That would be worth a lifetime of
premiums for me.

YMMV.
William R. Monroe