[pianotech] Not one of Bechstein's design triumphs.....

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Mar 29 02:15:48 MDT 2012

Yes, Jurgen, it was the strings resting against the coils of the next
string that I was referring to.  I have to totally agree with your
comments though!  The straight line of the strings is rather nice too.
I just got annoyed because I had to fit two new strings and felt that
having all the strings resting aagainst the coils of their neighbours
complicated things!

I had obtained two pairs of strings, so as to replace both the strings
in each of the two bichords that had a broken string.  But having fitted
one new string in each, I found that the sound of the two notes with
one-old-one-new was OK, which must also, I guess, say something for the
quality of the 1880s strings.

I replaced all the hammer butt notch felts on this piano, as many were
worn through to the wood, and at the same time replaced 28 broken hammer
return springs (the kind in the hammer butt), as well as fitting new
damper felts, and the action is nice and quiet now for its age. Happily
the key bushings are not too worn or noisy.  (I know, I know, why not
replace ALL the hammer butt springs. But that bit was done as a kinda
favour, and the remaining ones seemed good, I plied them all vigorously
and none broke).

In general I have gotten lucky in the past with upright damper felt
replacement, and found that they all seated well and worked well with
little adjustment.  This old Bechstein was different!  It's made me more
cautious about doing upright damper felts again!

What's interesting with this old Bechstein, and a  few others of the
same vintage I have tuned, is that I've been able to compare them with
some brand new Bechsteins, and to me they same to belong to what I might
call the same tone quality "family", as if the designers 130 years ago
and today, were aiming for a similar result.

In general, then, do you design folks think its OK to have strings
resting against the coils on neighbouring strings?

Best regards,

David.