[pianotech] 1880 Bechstein T. Pin layout

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 16:03:09 MDT 2012

Ron,
You may be right, but I don't see much of that to be a big design flaw. If
the pinblock is substandard, then it would be an issue, to be sure.<G> It
would cause all of the problems you listed. Yes, there are better ways to
lay out the tuning pin pattern, but I've seen much worse, to be sure. From
the pictures I see two real problems: 1. the piano has not been cared for
in regards to humidity control, hence the rust. 2. several replaced
strings, which, at first glance, would indicate the posibility of a poor
Breaking Strength Scale situation.
The situation with no plate bushings, can be a bit of an annoyance, but
surmountable, as in U.S. Steinways having the same idiotic flag poling that
most of us have learned to cope with. So what's left to be a design flaw?
Joe