[pianotech] Haynes Piano Manual

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Mar 26 06:56:19 MDT 2012

Oh yes, Dave, I've long been aware of that site!  Not, perhaps, what one
might call an authoritative source!

Apart from selling the Reblitz book, he offers for sale an "online
book".  These two offerings (and I've not seen what his online book is
like) perhaps illustrate part of my point with the Haynes Piano Manual.
Reblitz is a "proper" book, the best technical learning manual that
there is for the piano technology student.  But because it is for a
niche market, it's in black and white.  Online books can be in colour
'cos it costs no more than black and white, but the case is very
different for paper and ink books.  To be able to produce a paper and
ink book in full colour, you have to have economy of scale: that's to
say, you need to be able to sell a lot of copies, so the unit cost of
production is low enough (unless people are prepared to pay about $200
per copy).  Thus, Reblitz remains black and white.

Books about the history and devlopment of the piano, on the other hand,
like the excellent David Crombie book "Piano", can afford to be lavishly
illustrated in colour throughout, because they are aimed at a mass market.

With the Haynes manual, something in between is achieved.  Haynes are
reputable, long established publishers of technical manuals for
different models of motor vehicle.  I always found it useful to have
one, even though I was never going to take out the engine and strip down
the gearbox!  But for background information and for specific small
tasks, I always felt that I got my money's worth.  Now Haynes have
diversified into other technical manuals, and the Piano Manual is part
of that diversification.

Thus, for the first time (as far as I am aware), we have a piano
technical manual, explaining how the action works, and showing many
repairs, that has full colour throughout.  Joe mentions knowing of many
similar books, but I have never encountered them and am intrigued to
know more about them. Who publishes them, Joe, and what's in them, and
how do they compare to the Haynes Manual? Can you give me some ISBN numbers?

The authors of the Haynes Piano Manual are NOT trying to disparage piano
technicians; exactly the opposite. One of the authors makes his fulltime
living as a piano tuner and technician, and has done so for some 30
years, having taken up that career instead of continuing as a university
lecturer (in an unrelated subject).

While this book is not written to the depth of, or for as small a market
as, Reblitz, in my opinion it will surely be a very useful addition to
Reblitz for the serious piano technology student, as well as a valuable
source of background knowledge for the piano owner.  This all represents
the upside, not the downside (as typified by that site you mention,
Dave) in my view.

Best regards,

David.