[pianotech] Hide Glue Kit

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 22 22:18:35 MDT 2012

On 3/22/2012 9:59 PM, Floyd Gadd wrote:

>     I think I've bought hide glue from both Schaff and Pianotech, and
>     maybe even from Lee Valley Tools. I haven't paid enough attention to
>     the differences to be able to name a favorite source.

The source of the glue is of considerably less importance than the gram
strength, which determines working characteristics. Pianotek sells 251
gram, which is good for hammer hanging, dampers, and general felt work,
but too strong and touchy for player work, in my opinion. Schaff's glue
is 370-399 gram, which makes it utterly useless for anything at all in
my shop. I was once given an electric glue pot because the purchaser
couldn't make the Schaff stuff work at all and dumped all further
attempts with hide glue in disgust as a result. I tried to get him to
try a better glue, but he'd had enough by then. My choice is 192 gram,
which is very friendly and works well for player work, dampers, felt,
and hanging hammers.

Ron N