[pianotech] Haynes Piano Manual

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Mar 21 17:32:31 MDT 2012

Aside from the Bibliography page of my site, which some of you were kind
enough to look over and comment on and make useful  suggestions, I have
now added a separate page about the Haynes Piano Manual, which I think
deserves special mention.

As we know, technical piano books being a niche market, only relatively
small print runs are feasible, which means no economy of scale, which
means production costs have to be minimised, which means no colour.

Haynes are a mass-market publisher, well known for car owners manuals
for many different models of car. In recent years they've branched out
into household appliance manuals.  Now they have published a Piano
owners Manual, co-written by John Bishop who is an experienced
technician with a background in education, and Graham Barker, a writer.
The slant here is towards piano owners rather than technicians. This is
of course a much larger market, hence economy of scale, hence lovely
full colour throughout.  It is so much easier to identify actions parts
of green and red felt and light wood and grey metal, when they are
reproduced in colour rather than shades of gray!

A boon for the UK market is that the pianos are UK pianos. Nothing
against USA pianos at all, of course  - far from it - but the styles
shown are more familiar to us here in the UK.

I have reproduced some pages on my website, to give an idea of the
visual style of the book (reproduces for purposes of criticism or review
under the Fair Dealing provision of the UK Copyright Designs and Patents
Act 1988).

Here we have a full colour manual at a very reasonable price that would
be a tremendously useful supplement to Reblitz for the trainee piano
technician, as well as a great resource for all piano owners. It's
exactly the kind of thing I wish had been available back in the 1970s
when I was trying to find technical books on the piano.

http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/haynes-piano-manual.php

Best regards,

David.