[pianotech] Evil Glue

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 19 18:14:17 MDT 2012

Les Bartlett said:
"I've had several people say PVCE is good for hanging hammers.... WHY not?
Now the rage seems to be trim and mold glue...."

Les,
IMNSHO, both are not to be used for hammer installation....unless one is
lazy and motivated to be a speed voicer all in one.<G> (Flack suit zipped
up tight and totally wrapped in aluminum foil.<G>)
I use both glues for various jobs around the shop. I do use it for
installing Pyralin Keytops, (Ivorine), PVCE that is.That glue is
specifically made to join dissimilar materials, like plastic to wood. It
does what it was designed to do. I've found that it works best with LIGHT
clamping pressures.
Hide Glue still remains the glue specific for any action work and/or any
wood working project that "might" need to be taken apart some time in the
future. The use of glues requires some basic thinking before use!<G>
That's my take on that,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police