[pianotech] Evil glue

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 08:23:52 MDT 2012

  Ron
  Thanks for the public service announcement.

 Yes, yes the Evil Glue indeed. We should collectively write up a piano glue policy handbook.
  My two favorite Do not use statements are.
1. Do not use, Epoxy to glue in a sound board. The only way to clean the rim is with a 1 1/8 inch Makita hand held belt sand or pneumatic gringing device of some kind. I actually know who did it. He still breathes. :) and No, it wasn't me.
 Please use....Cold hide or hot hide glue. Tight bonds which are aliphatic resins of various iterations(see Franklins data sheets), Bolducs PVA mystery glue or many wood working PVA's (Read data sheets)
2 . Do not use PVCE on felt work.  Especially key bushings.
 Think reversible. Hide Glue is first for so many things that are going to be redone.
 Please use hot or cold hide glue
My two cents

Dale Erwin RPT-
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos