[pianotech] Sealing the air leak on a Duo-Art takeup spool

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Mar 18 21:15:38 MDT 2012

On 3/18/2012 10:06 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> On 3/18/2012 8:20 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
>
>> That is the reason for my question, I have not had the experience of
>> seeing a proper setup. The one I am about to service just has the
>> metal on metal connection. There was no washer stack of any kind in
>> the spool end.
>>
>> Please, explain the proper leather washer stack for the spool end.
>>
>> Thank you, Duaine
>

> After I sent that, I realized you said Duo-Art instead of Ampico. The
> Ampico has a stack of thin leather washers in the end of the spool
> acting as a rotary seal. It's been a long time since I've worked on a
> Duo-Art, and don't remember specifically what's there. Ok, I found a
> hosing diagram, but not something showing the replay valve. The shutoff
> hoses into the tracker. In the Ampico A, the opening is on the take up
> spool. Isn't the Duo-Art triggered by a lever dropping into a notch in
> the take up spool to open a valve? Whatever the details are, you need an
> air tight seal from that valve opening to the valve, through the metal
> rotation valve and another set of control valves. It's going to take
> spending the time to diagnose it, track down the leak(s) and make a real
> fix. There may be a magic bullet quick fix that experts use, but I'm
> only a mechanic and have to do it the hard way.
>
> Ron N

Ok, I found a photo. It's the same trigger as the Ampico A, that little
leather spot on the take up spool that the roll covers that opens the
re-play valve on rewind before the shutoff is opened on the tracker bar.
There's a seal as I described in the bass end of the spool.

You may very likely have to chase down the rest of the valve sequence as
well.

Ron N

Ron N