[pianotech] It's NOT a kazoo!

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Fri Mar 16 12:48:30 MDT 2012

A kazoo is something you hum into, which anyone can do. This is not a
kazoo, but a Tongue Depressor Harmonica (TDH). It's a reed-like
instrument that vibrates when air passes through it. The only way to
alter the pitch while playing is to bite down with varying pressure.
It's a bit of a challenge to make music with.

You know how annoyed we get when people refer to 7-foot pianos as "baby
grands," or use the term "spinet" to refer to a 52" upright? It's the
same thing in the world of serious TDH players, they are equally annoyed
when someone calls it a "kazoo."

Maybe you naysayers should get your penny's worth (the cost of two
tongue depressors) and give it a try.  My cat loves it - he sings along
when I play it. Although he may really be asking me to stop, I'm not
100% certain which it is.

Are we so high and mighty as piano technicians that we have to mock
other forms of making music? Some people make music using wood saws or
wine glasses, or by hitting trash cans with a stick. Some interesting
music can be made using household objects. Maybe we should embrace these
things instead of ridiculing them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go practice playing my TDH.