[pianotech] (no subject)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 15 09:33:49 MDT 2012

On 3/15/2012 9:23 AM, chip tuthill wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Thanks for your reply. First of all I'm not a butcher.<G> I was a
> cabinet maker before learning and continuing to learn the skills and art
> as a piano technician. I'm well aware of the differences between piano v
> player piano repairs. I do not represent myself as a player tech. But I
> will look at any instrument to see if I can help the owner. If not, I'll
> try and find someone to help. In this case the first problem seems
> apparent (see attached photo). If the fix works great- happy customer.
> If not on to stage two.
>
> Chip

Hi Chip,
My father, long ago, decided he wanted a player so we got him one to
rebuild. He  was a first rate mechanic, woodworker, and all around
craftsman, so I offered the technical information as he did most of the
labor. When we finished, I asked him if he thought he would have had a
prayer of figuring it out on his own. "Not a chance" was his assessment.
The physical skills necessary aren't anything extraordinary, but the
quantity and quality of specific information necessary to do a good job
are way more than meets the eye. It's awfully easy to be a player
butcher with all good intentions and a high mechanical skill level, and
I've seen the results waaaaay too many times through the years. <G>
Tread lightly. Here be monsters.
Ron N