[pianotech] Player Repairs

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Mar 12 19:25:50 MDT 2012

Chip,

Over the years, I have been involved with several such cases. Bottom line, unless they are willing to have it - all -
rebuilt again, then politely let the customer know and walk away.

Case in point, I have one NOW that was rebuilt about 20 years ago, however, it had been stored in a barn all those
years. The customer absolutely could not wait until I could do the whole thing (2015), so she asked me to "piece meal"
my fixes. I started off with a new suction box (she didn't want to have to pump it ever again) and still nothing would
play - as a matter of fact, all of the notes would play even with the tracker bar taped off. So I took the upper stack
home, diagnosed that the rubber tubing connecting from the lead tubing and the tracker bar - all of it had dried up and
had broken off. OK problem one found and fixed. Number 2, most of the 88 pneumatics were as still as a board - but she
didn't want all of those recovered. However, due to mice, I had to recover 6 pneumatics - so 6 out of 88 were pliable.
Oh, yes, 3 of the pneumatics had to have their pouches glued back in place - without taking the pneumatic apart - what a
treat. Bench tested everything and all was well - or so I thought. Reinstalled the stack and tried to play several
rolls. Keep in mind, she thought everything was going to work GREAT - just in time for a family party. Even with the new
suction box going full blast, the pneumatics were still to stiff to play the notes and make any since out of the roll.

So, she spent around $1500 and still no playing player piano. So we left it as is for now, in hopes that the pneumatics
will limber up enough to play the notes in a couple of months.

Good luck, Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years