[pianotech] The case of the missing bridle straps!

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 18:55:51 MDT 2012

Got a client with a 70's schafer & sons spinet. Looks like new having had little use, but many hammers won't return, and at first I thought the pinning was too tight, and/or just sluggish from non use and excess humidity, but then I noticed that there are NO bridle wires/straps at all. I've seen a few spinets without them before, but not very often. Any advice on getting the hammers to return, short of retro-fitting a whole new set of bridle wires and straps? I thought maybe strengthening the hammer springs and appling protek to all the centers might help as well.  What's funny is that the whips have the little holes where they would go, but they were never installed at the factory.

Thanks,

Terry "UniGeezer" Peterson
"Over 50, and not '2' Tired!"
www.unigeezer.com