[pianotech] shrinking with H20 & alcohol-revisited

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Mar 10 14:35:50 MST 2012

      David
  Don is giving excellent advice.
  I will add one caveat. Though the bushings have been treated with protek I'd still try alcohol and water first. Yes its counter to the advice given, but I have been in your shoes and done just what I am suggesting and it solved most of the problems. Find the tightest sample and try a solution with an educated guess method. Apply and wait to see what happens,... if nothing then proceed with Dons good advice. That said usually there will be some still too tight or loose and repinning is the correct remedy.
 And ...one strength solution doesn't fit all. Another words 50/50 mix may be ok for the tightest ones but not the lesser tight ones.
  As always the strength of the remedy is result driven.

Dale Erwin RPT-
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos
Pre-hung Ronsen hammer sets/Abel parts
Sitka Soundboards & Supplies