[pianotech] Trouble jacks

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Sat Mar 10 12:23:16 MST 2012

Hello Noah,

    How many do you need in total?
I have some with the long arm.
   I don't have any with the short arm..

    Your picture is the long arm I think.
It is very little  trouble to shorten the
long one.

   If the wooden nuts that adjust  the  jacks
are bad leather nuts work like a charm.
Schaff has these on page 171

Jack Wyatt
Dallas Chapter

n a message dated 3/10/2012 10:50:44 A.M. Central Standard Time,
noahfrere at gmail.com writes:

I'm  regulating a 1916 Kranich and Bach Grand #57581, and there are a
couple broken  jacks. I have the set of Tokiwa wippen samples (unfortunately it
is missing  one of the wippen samples - maybe the very one i need), but none
of them match  this strange wippen. The wip flange lays horizontally instead
of vertical,  which isn't a problem. However the jack tip is larger than
any of the others.  The sample jack that most closely matches the K&B jack is
TWR as can be  seen in image 2287. However, the balancier is far too long.
Sample TWK is the  only one that matches the balancier length, but there is a
rep spring attached  behind the wip flange screw that is lacking in the
K&B. All the other  wippens are too large: that is, the balancier butts into
the hammer rail.  TWU-1 and TWU-3 have the horizontal wip flange
configuration, but again the  balancier is too long.

Photo 2286 shows the K&B wippen, and 2284  shows the configuration of the
wippen/jack connection, which is old-fashioned  and outdated, and not
available as far as I know.

Regluing the jack is  sometimes an option, but not in this case as one jack
foot is missing, and the  other is broken in 2 places including where the
center pin goes through.

There are 2 possible solutions as far as I can tell:
1) obtain the  proper jack, or
2) cut off the extra wippen tail section of  TWK.

Option 2 is risky, since I still don't know if all the other specs  would
match up once I altered it.

Any  ideas?