[pianotech] What's causing this vibration?

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Sat Mar 10 09:20:30 MST 2012

Ah yes, these can be a real challenge.  Some things in my arsenal of experience that haven’t been mentioned so far  .......

work all three pedals to look for effect/change
long hinge pin on half lid, the heat from my finger sometimes is enough to make it go away, add shims/punchings under the screws in the area
rubber button on lid prop buzzing on plate
lid lock touching lock ring
make sure the soundboard is clear of foreign matter
make sure the action cavity is clear of foreign matter
keyframe buzzing on keybed, press down in areas to locate
hammer rest rail support nuts loose
failed glue joint on the edge of the soundboard at the rim, press on soundboard to locate
glass in picture frame on wall
tin insert in deco item on the wall
filament in a lamp
poodle would sneeze when I played a certain note

good luck and above all  ..........  have fun.

Lar