[pianotech] Early duplex scale

Albert Picknell pnrfqsnrk at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 7 10:11:05 MST 2012

In the first picture they look like ebony, but in the second the wood has a redder colour, something like rosewood.
Bert

--- On Tue, 3/6/12, David Boyce <David at piano.plus.com> wrote:

I  tuned a nice Schiedmayer grand today, No 9144.

The Musicians Piano Atlas has Schiedmayer numbers starting at 11,000 in 1880, so this one must be from the 1870s.

I was intrigued to see an elegant duplex scaling, and more so to note that the little duplex bearing "plinths" (what's the proper name folks?) are made of WOOD!  The piano was re-strung and hammers re-covered 30 years ago, but these appear to be original. Would they be ebony, or lignum vitae?

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk