[pianotech] Computers and Anti-Virus

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Thu Mar 1 02:35:07 MST 2012

Comments interspersed....

On 02/28/2012 06:13 PM, Don Mannino wrote:
> Duane,
>
> I have learned long ago that disagreeing with you has no purpose.  As an
> extremely experienced computer user I can tell you most emphatically that
> you are incorrect, but there is no point arguing it publicly or otherwise.

Well..... there is one point that can not be proven incorrect by either one of us.

That is, regarding the Windows' updates, you have no idea what they are getting into besides updating your system. Since
they have been known in documented cases to invade a person's or businesses privacy, they - could - be - uploading - any
- of your data and doing anything they want with it.

> Your advice regarding not updating Windows, and especially about Anti-Virus
> is not only incorrect, it is absolutely of the worst kind!  Are you trying
> to intentionally get people to catch viruses so that you can point and laugh
> at them?

I am pointing and laughing at anyone. Just the opposite, I feel for those persons because they have to send who knows
how many hours rebuilding their systems.

Case in point, my brother-in-law, he has a Sony Vaio desktop, and, YES, we he had to rebuild, he HAD to use Sony's
Rebuild CD's (YES, 3 CD's (which as we all know Windows XP is 1 CD)) which forced the install of Sony's BASIC system -
which included many, many packages that he did not use BUT you had to install them anyway. So it took a good, full day
to load their CD's then go back and delete all of Sony's extra stuff. After about 8 times of this, he bit the bullet and
had me install Linux.

> If someone is using Windows and is committed to it, stop railing at them
> about changing to something else and give them advice that is useful, if you
> can.  If they are using Linux and need help, I'm sure you can help them very
> ably.
>
> Also, read up on heuristics / behavior based anti-virus.  The best
> anti-virus software suites includes this along with the definition based
> scanning.  Look into how the current software actually protects before
> dishing out advice - things have changed.

Yes, maybe, they have changed BUT so has the virus community. Although, I've never seen one, I have been told by a
number of security field gurus out in the real world, there are now websites that anyone can go to and generate a virus
in a matter of minutes. And there can be as many as 700,000 NEW VIRUSES GENERATED A DAY.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years