[pianotech] NY Times article on pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 31 16:37:21 MDT 2012

On 7/31/2012 5:04 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:
> Indeed, it was off the mark - my intent was to criticize Joe for
> exaggerating "REAL rebuilding" and "got it all" - that's all. Only his
> use of terms. I can't imagine that anyone who knows what they are doing
> would do a complete belly, action, keyboard and case - i.e. complete
> rebuild/remanufacture - for 1/3 the cost of a comparable Pleyel upright.
> I mean what does a new Pleyel upright cost? Heck, maybe I'm way off base
> here - wouldn't be the first time. But I suspect maybe not this time.....

Assumptions being made here. It has been my nearly universal experience
that anything described as "totally rebuilt", getting "the works", or
being "completely restored" almost invariably has the original belly,
which of course was just fine. I don't know if Joe does that, but he
didn't mention a new belly specifically.

Reading through the pianotech posts all these years, I find over and
over again that a few missing words of information in the first post are
often worth thousands of words of speculative responses. Having now
offered mine, I'll await clarification.
Ron N