[pianotech] NY Times article on pianos

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 08:19:13 MDT 2012

I believe we should all be tolerant and respectful regarding the exceedingly different socioeconomic climates in different parts of this nation. In some, money is often "no object", in others, people spend nothing on pianos,
or as little as possible. Here, for example, several decent-condition Steinway uprights recently sold at a school system auction for $200 each. A buyer asked what I'd charge to tune one, and even $75 was too much for him.
(Including helping him move it, if I remember correctly.) And in some areas, the "wealthy"people are no more inclined to spend money on their pianos than the poor. Expenses also vary greatly among us: some own houses and shops, others have mortgages or rent. And some techs ARE willing to work for free, or close to it. So it's really whatever that works between a tech and a customer that is "fair".  What is NOT fair, in my opinion, is govermnent policies that allow predatory marketing by overseas suppliers to put our factories and workers out of business!

Thumpe

P.S. If our government did not subsidize "Big Oil", and instead forced it to pay for the environmental damage it causes, the cost of shipping things from overseas (in ships that burn nasty "bunker oil", especially ) would greatly rise, making domestic production far more competitive!