[pianotech] NY times article on Pianos

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:28:03 MDT 2012

Sure Wim, I can understand that.  Also 20 years ago, we liked (??) spinets with the crumbling plastic action parts, now we tell them they aren't worth the money to fix.

I guess might be coming true with those nasty consoles from the 70's and 80's even ….?
Yes, the old ones are now beyond their years, epecially those from the "golden era" of manufacturing. Salesmen will still use that term to sell some old thing since it was made in the 20's or 30's, but  it's only a buzz word now.  Lots of great old pianos were made back then, to be sure!  They just cost too much to bring back the old glory unless REALLY special to someone who has lots of money.  That's getting harder and harder to find, including the pianos that can handle it from "The Good Old Days"

I will bet $100 that those fine gentlemen and ladies who made those pianos 80-90+ years ago would be flabbergasted to find out that they're still around and even function (some of them anyway).  Way to go you old farts!  You made something that lasted! Bless your hearts, and rip!

Paul