[pianotech] NY times article on Pianos

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 10:00:23 MDT 2012

Hard to know in what context the quote was actually made (as several have
pointed out) but there is a reality.

I probably get at least two calls a week inquiring about "restoring"
grandma's old upright piano.  When I run the numbers by them they are
generally shocked thinking that a piano could be "restored" for $1000 -
$1500.  The reality is that these pianos have a starting value of -$500
because that's what it would cost to have someone come and haul them away.
Simple restringing, action reconditioning, cheap finish and you are into the
piano for minimum of $10,000.  Now the piano is worth $1500.   While there
are certainly many pianos out there that have good musical potential, the
cost of manufacturing now is much lower than our own labor costs for
restoration work.  While Del and others have pointed out the "value added"
approach, which has validity, it's a rare opportunity to be able to sell
that.  I was sad to see them throwing out this old Knabe as I have restored
several old Knabes and they make fine rebuilding pianos.  Most recently I
restored an old 5'2" Knabe with a new soundboard, action, finish.  No
question that the cost far exceeded the value (and the customer knew that
going in), but the piano belonged to her father and she wanted it done.
Those opportunities are rare.   A new Yamaha C1 could have been purchased
for less than half the cost of what it took for this piano and there are
other manufacturers selling their new pianos for less than that and the
reality is, they aren't bad pianos.  The less expensive pianos of today are
much better pianos than  the less expensive pianos of yesterday.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com