[pianotech] a strange looking piano action

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 15:32:13 MDT 2012

Hi Everyone,
Today I tuned a Gulbransen piano with the strangest action I've ever seen. I took this picture of it which I hope made it   It was a cross between a grand action and a direct blow action, or it appeared that way.  The capstan screw was attaced to the wippen not the end of the key stick.  The front of the action had back checks like that seen on  on grand pianos but not attached to the keys.  The hammer rest rail was behind the back check and bridal wires.  Dampers were in their normal position. There didn't appear to be a let off rail, but rather the let off button resembled more of the jack stop button set up with the screw.  I adjusted this to see if the key would start to repeat better and it seemed to help. HOwever there was a clicking sound in one of the notes.  I would love to get an action like this to practice working on here at home just to have the exposure so when I head back there in 6 months or a year I can be better prepared.  It was so odd.  I thnk it even had jack springs. The jakcs were way b ack and I couldn't stick my finger in there to fee it but came close to feeling it at C88.  What are your thoughts?
Marshall
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com