[pianotech] mouse contamination from the dark side<G>

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 04:22:02 MDT 2012

Thanks, Joe!
     Around here, 90% of the pianos have had mice in them, which is a big part of why I only work on my own, anymore.* And I have found that even the most extreme cleaning (dunking action parts in "Purple Power" and removing all felts and rinsing thoroughly, followed by a  month in an industrial-strength ozone chamber) will not remove "mousey odor" (or dop feces stench)** completely.
     If anyone knows of a technique that REALLY gets these smells out of action parts, I'd sure like to hear of it!

Euphonious Thumpe

*Besides the unpleasantness and risk to me, I don't want to add a "sense of value" to something that is a  risk to customers' health, by encouraging them to invest money in it. And when I've suggested that they invest in a  different instument, they tend to utterly ignore me.
** I once was given a SUPERB 1920's Emerson upright that had never been played ( zero wear on hammers, etc.) but had to burn it because the owners had paper-trained their dogs in the room with it, and the stench (only discovered once back in my shop) was horrendous! (It was the stench that caused me to call them later and inquire, whereupon they "'fessed up" about the paper-training.)