[pianotech] Stuck solenoid

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Wed Jul 25 09:50:06 MDT 2012

......... but wait, there’s more!!!

The tip of the plunger rubbing against the keybed.  Check for this first!!!  Play the unit until the key sticks in the down position.  Stop the player and gently put the action out.  If the plunger remains in the up position after removing the action, the problem COULD very well be the issues I’ve mentioned.  If the plunger drops with the slightest movement of the keybed away from the plunger tips, you MIGHT have a rubbing tip on the keybed.  The rubber usually leave a faint mark on the wood if this is so.  Remove some keybed material to facilitate clearance.

On a related note, the tip could be rubbing against an adjacent key.  Gently press the neighboring keys and see if the plunger drops.  Once again there’ll be a tell tale mark on the side of the neighboring key.  Realign the solenoid and you’ll have it fixed.

There was a series of Baldwins that the underside of the key in the back was angled at a 45 degree in the region of the dags.  I’ve made little triangles to glue to the key tail so that the tip had a flat surface to contact.   If the installer didn’t do this, you’ll have binding solenoids.