[pianotech] Humidity

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Tue Jul 24 14:47:05 MDT 2012

Allow me to illustrate Ron's point about the temperature being the greater
culprit than the humidity:

I tune for an old Congregational Church here in New Hampshire - no
insulation in the walls, old funky windows.  They decided to stop heating
the building during the week when no one was around when oil prices went
insane a few years ago.  January tunings were always an exercise in
futility.  The music director would come over a couple of hours before my
scheduled arrival and turn on the heat.  It's morning, so it might be 0 or
10 degrees outside, and not far north of that inside.  It's up to about 55
when I walk in the door, and will be 65 or up by the time I finish (give up
on) the tuning.   The piano's as cold as a frozen ham in a walkin freezer,
and the plate and sides of the piano start sweating as the condensation
forms due to the temperature differential between the piano mass and the
air.  Typically, I would chase my tail for about 2 hours, doing 3 or 4
passes on the piano.  As I get one end the piano in tune, the other end has
already shifted.  And so on until I give up.  After a few years of these
chronic psychotic episodes,  I refused to tune the piano during the winter
months.

It could be argued that taking that cold air of 20 degrees F. and
superheating it up to 70, will cause the relative humidity to drop
considerably and that would be true.  But I am talking about quantified
pitch changes of 10 cents or more within 10 or 15 minutes for a given note.
There simply isn't enough time for humidity (or lack thereof) to work it's
wonders on the piano.

In contrast, the temperature has changed substantially over a fairly short
period of time.  Probably the thing that changes the most is the piano wire
itself because it is far and away the smallest thermal mass.  The soundboard
would respond to the temperature more slowly, and the rim more slowly still.
All are moving, but not at the same rate.  All are culprits, but the wire is
the greatest.   It likely would be a number of hours before all reached an
equilibrium, and I don't have that much patience or time.

Will Truitt