[pianotech] Conventions ( was Pianotech? )

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Tue Jul 24 11:11:01 MDT 2012

On 7/17/2012 10:45 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
> 1) At least 95% of my profit goes back out in supplies.

Anything you spend on supplies can't be considered "profit" in the first
place. But if you're saying 95% of the money you collect from clients is
going back into supplies, then something is wrong. Somewhere along the
line, you made the same mistake that many technicians make:  You set
aside continued education in order to focus on working, with the notion
that later on it will somehow be easier to bring education back into the
routine.  It's like saying, "I've got to get to my destination, so
there's no time to change the oil, stop for gas, or check the tire
pressure." And then you find yourself stuck on the side of the road,
working on the pianos nobody else in your area wants to touch, and
making no profit. Don't blame the PTG. Don't blame the pianos. Don't
blame the clients. Don't blame the other technicians in your area. If
you aren't where you want to be, there is only one person responsible
for that.

Continued education is critically important to the success of the piano
technician. The PTG offers lots of great educational opportunities, but
the National Convention & Technical Institute is the biggest B12
injection that you can get for your piano service career. It's not just
the technical knowledge gained that makes it so worthwhile. The business
classes, alone, can be life-changing. Just being able to spend a week
socializing with some of the world's best and brightest technicians can
positively impact the way you approach your own attitude and business
methods. The Convention is also a retreat, where you can step back from
the daily grind of running the business long enough to look at the big
picture. This enables you to discover what you're doing right, what
you're doing wrong, and see yourself and your business in a new light.
It's recharging your batteries for another year, to go back to work with
an excitement over how you're going to apply everything to achieve a new
level of excellence in your work and reach a higher income.

Sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Some never go because
they view the hotel, airfare and registration as simply too expensive. I
view it as the best possible investment you can make in yourself and
your business every year, with the highest returns. The regional
conventions are fantastic, too. And it's silly to not attend chapter
meetings, because the only cost is a little gasoline and one evening
every month.

> 6) Finally, as I have said my times before, the organization is geared
> towards Grands - and - clients with lots of money to spend.

That statement is complete Nonsense! In case anyone thinks there is
truth to Duaine's negativity and excuses for not continuing his own
education, note the following information:

In Seattle we had five or six classes that you could say were
specifically grand-oriented, but there is also a large demand for
grand-oriented classes. In fact, most PTG members service both grands
and uprights, and both are incredibly important to the work we do. This
is why we also had four classes just for upright servicing:

Voicing the Vertical Piano (Fred Sturm)
Vertical Regulation - Max Results in Minimum Time  (Kawai with Don Mannino)
Vertical Regulation Plus (Hailun / Keith Bowman and Mike Carraher)
Everything Upright (Paul Rea)

And we had a stellar offering of classes that were not specific to
grands or verticals, on topics such as:
Business
Health
Tuning
Refinishing
Keytops
ETDs
Restringing
Exam Prep

And not to forget the dedicated crew of examiners who helped members
achieve RPT or get much closer to doing so.