[pianotech] Subject changed since noone else saw fit

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 18:10:42 MDT 2012

Duaine said:
"Since everyone wants to keep telling me about the education I'm missing,
please, please, tell me what education I could
use for rebuilding and servicing of player pianos (the antique ones) and
pump/reed organs ?

I'm all ears,"
Duaine,
You can't be that stupid! There are numerous classes on action rebuilding,
restringing, action parts modifications and nomenclature of the olde stuff.
Classes on regulation is tatamount for any "tech"! Half of the knowledge
you CAN gain isn't even in the classes, but in the halls and pubs and
restaurants and Lobby and..??? You hone your social skills and technical
skills as well. Not to mention meet some pretty damned neat people of our
Industry! Those people become friends, (or mortal enemies<G>). The
friendships are renewed each convention. Occasionally there are classes for
players. Because the Electronics are more prevalent, you'll see them more.
It's the way you should be going imo.
BTW, the cost for a convention is a little more than $1,500.00, as some
have mentioned. I think the $2,500.00 range would be more accurate. No, I
did not go this year. There were more pressing issues in my life. :-( Would
have liked to see all my "convention friends" tho. :-(
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I