[pianotech] applying PVC-E to key sticks?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 10:40:54 MDT 2012

David asked:
"What is your preferred method for applying PVC-E to keysticks when
fitting new key coverings? Flat brush? Round brush? What size? Pallette
knife?"

David,
It's called a finger.<G> I apply a line of glue with a glue bottle,
(Elmer's School Glue Bottle, emptied/cleaned/refilled with pvc-e), and
spread it with my fingers. I have damp, recycled sweat socks, (inside/out),
at the ready, both at the application station and the clamping station.
I've found this works quite well. It's easy to assess the amount you are
applying and how it is interacting with the wood, if you use your
finger(s). I rotate several of the socks in a bucket, (small), that has tap
water and just a little bit of bleach. In the process of clean up, it also
helps to clean the crud off of the key sides.<G>
Hope this helps,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police