[pianotech] Self-tuning piano again

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 13:05:34 MDT 2012

http://tinyurl.com/76pd9u7

Here's a piece in today's Kansas City Star. I think the reporter was a bit embarrassed at pushing the idea that techs might be run out of business by a self-tuning piano device, but that was the angle that his editor wanted him to pursue. (Not many big errors, but I think Tabachnick is a chapter officer, not a PTG officer.) The reporter understood when I spoke to him that I was trying for a nuanced response. I would just add that just because I respect and admire Don's efforts, that doesn't mean that I think the piano tuning that his device might someday produce will necessarily be on par with our best tunings. That said, many pianos spend much time out of tune, and Gilmore's device just might leave some pianos more in tune (less out of tune?) more of the time. Maybe...  8^)